Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Where I work: Samuel Wilkinson

Over the years, we have highlighted the work of Samuel Wilkinson, industrial designer based in London, known for its watches, furniture and accessories, as Plumen lamp 001 and Desk Set Babylon. in furniture and product design to Ravensboure College of Art & Design in 2002 after getting up, he spent years in Conran, Pearson Lloyd, tangerine and Fitch London to remove from his own. I work for this month, which the designer employs a look in her studio Bethnal Green and design process.

Where I-Work Samuel Wilkinson 2

What is your typical work style?

Usually we work on several projects at once, so normally share my day. My assistants have to continue normally projects, so that I can speak on the day with them several times while continuing with other projects. I like to mix it, to keep it cool. I also believe that good design takes time to develop, you need to ferment place. to leave something alone and then come for a day / week / month again really helps the attractiveness to understand a long-term project.

Where I-Work Samuel Wilkinson 3

What's your studio - Surroundings / work?

I try pretty neat to keep study. Make fills several prototypes of furniture definitely a space. We are currently developing several large pieces, so that after three or four 1: run out of space 1 models can be quite fast. I have too many chairs!

Where I-Work Samuel Wilkinson 6

How is organized your office / arranged?

The studio is located on the ground floor of the former warehouse in 1899 was erected We have a good creative space size with white-painted brick walls and large windows that let in plenty of natural light. This connects to a corridor of space library and a kitchen contains at one end with a meeting room. The kitchen door leads out to a large terrace which looks small on the back of all other transactions, including primarily other creative studies. The court is of direct sunlight in a great time for an outdoor lunch for lunch!

Where I Work-4-Samuel Wilkinson

How long - you were in this room? Where - she worked?

We have been for 18 months in the building before I so in Shoreditch had a studio. I needed more space then we are in Bethnal Green Road.

Where I-Work Samuel Wilkinson 8

If you could change something about your work area, what would - what?

Would not that would change the quality of light, is excellent and there are not enough space for the moment. Since it is an old building, so that the heater be spirited, but not as bad.

Where I-Work Samuel Wilkinson 5

Ago - must return music - plan? If so, who are the favorites?

Yes, no doubt. In the morning, something pretty cool, downtempo, electronic or classical. Think Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnauld, Jamie Woon, etc. Then, to bring in a rule in the afternoon a little. With deep house or something Subtrkt, Digitalism, Matthew Dear ....

Where I-work-9 Samuel Wilkinson

How can you get ideas?

Notebooks from different manufacturers generally. Recently, I prefer just a stack of A4 paper on the desk by!

What is your creative process and / or creative workflow as What changed any project or have - it remains?

Some projects require different workflows on earnings per. If it's a project that is most suitable industrial design, you can work in a traditional way (research, ideation, development, design, prototyping, etc.), but experiences can be much freer. Work can explore redo models and experiment to find the best way to use it a new material.
I really appreciate all parts of the creative process. The original design is exciting, but most of all enjoy the details and processing. The real challenge is to make every product manufactured with an initial idea into a quality product undiluted dictionary. Often the biggest challenge for a good design is sailing to commitment.

Where I-Work Samuel Wilkinson 7

What kind of design - objects that were previously scattered across space?

The office space has a long shelf next to the window in which we show samples and objects from various past and current projects. On the other hand there are hundreds of models, samples of materials and objects of inspiration racking.

Let us know how to speak cable We talked -. His arsenal of technology / equipment.

I can use a specially designed PC and then have a MacBook / iPad / iPhone to travel.

Where I-Work Samuel Wilkinson 13

It is - not a popular project that you have worked on?

Most current projects are favorites, it really depends on how long it takes a little more forward before jumping. Currently there are two, an ongoing project ceramics for a year and a set of furniture, which has great potential, but unfortunately I can not speak. We are also the self-production of a wooden chair, the introduction of a new website + Store are two released to celebrate in a month or so.

Where I-Work Samuel Wilkinson 10

What did you feel, how you became successful? What time / circumstances?

I believe that success can not really be measured until the end of his career. I hope that if I remain consistent and produce good work, I returned to a successful career.
I am interested in a model that fits the spirit of Design SLOW: democratic, more efficient and distinctive design, which is as good as 20 years.
Although I have extensive experience, won several awards and checked some things on my list, I have a lot more has the feeling of wanting that I'm early in my career, and in 20 years ask me to go back!

Where I-Work Samuel Wilkinson 12

Talk - an ongoing project that works. What was the inspiration behind it?

I can not really talk too much about what we do now because it can give away things, but I'm still pretty obsessed merge the boundaries between craft and mass production, creating pieces that perfectly imperfect in production on a larger scale.

Where I-Work Samuel Wilkinson 11

Before - that nothing in your house that you designed / created?

I think if you are a designer of furniture and lighting, it is difficult not! My house (and basement) is full of prototypes that back to my college years that are mixed with other pieces, I have picked up along the way, the markets and designer I admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment